Click here for a downloadable, printer friendly version of recipe.
- 1/2 lb Malted 6 Row Barley
- 1/2 lb German Light Munich
- 1/4 lb American Malted Red Wheat
- 1/4 lb Carafoam (german carapils)
- 1/4 lb UK Roasted Barley
- 6.6 lb Pale Liquid Malt Extract
- You will be doing a 60 minute boil
- 1 oz East Kent Goldings
- @ Start of Full Boil 60 minutes
- 1 oz UK Fugglelast 10 minutes of the 60 min boil
- Wyeast 1084
- Irish Ale Yeast
- White Labs WLP004
- Irish Ale Yeast
- Fermentis Dry Active Yeast
- SO-4 US Ale
- 1 tsp Brew Saltz
- 1 tsp Irish Moss
- 1 small drop of Elven Blood
- If you chose liquid yeast, prepare the yeast according to the directions on the back of the package. If you chose a dry active yeast, you will need to to add it after the wort has cooled, refer to step 12.
- Put the grains into a grain bag or muslin bag. Heat 2 gallons of filtered water along with Brew Saltz to 160° F then turn off heat and add grain bag. DO NOT add grains to water above 165° F.
- Leave pot uncovered during this time, let grains steep for 20 minutes. Stiring grain bag gently from time to time.
- Remove grain bag and let it drain into the brew pot. DO NOT squeeze grain bag.
- Rinse grains over brew pot by slowly pouring 1 cup of HOT tap water over the top of the grain bag. Discard grains.
- With the heat off, add the liquid malt extract and stir. Turn on heat and while stirring bring to a boil. You will be doing a 60 minute boil.
- After your boil begins, add the 1 oz of East Kent Golding Hops. Do not boil too hard, make sure it is a calm boil.
- After 50 mins of boil add the 1 oz of UK Fuggle hops along with the irish moss.
- Continue to boil for an additional 10 minutes, turn off heat
- Cool the wort and add to fermenter on top of 2 gallons of very cold / ice water. HINT: 8 lbs of filtered ice = 1 gallon of water.
- Top off to 5 gallons. After the wort cools to 80° or below, pitch (add) your yeast on top of the wort. Give fermenter a good shake.
- Ferment for 7-10 days at 68°-72° F.
Optional: You can transfer from primary to secondary after 5 days and leave in secondary for 7 days.
- The final specific gravity should be 1.010-1.012. To bottle, rack into bottling bucket. Heat 12 oz of water and 3/4 cup dextrose in microwave for 2 minutes then add to bottling bucket. Stir together gently and thoroughly. Bottle and cap. Store at room temperature 7-10 days. Chill as needed and enjoy!
Click here for a downlaodableble, printer friendly version of recipe.