ROSSCO'S ROASTED ALE
Click here for a downloadable, printer friendly version of recipe.
- 1 lb Malted 6 Row Barley (Rahr)
- 1/2 lb De-husked Carafa II
- 1/4 lb Roasted Barley Malt
- 1/4 lb Belgian Cara Vienna Malt
- 8 lb Pale Liquid Malt Extract
- You will be doing a 60 minute boil
- 1 oz UK Phoenix Hops (60 min)
- @ Start of Full Boil 60 minutes
- 1 oz UK Phoenix Hops (30 min)30 minutes after the start of the boil
- 1 oz UK Phoenix Hops(5 min)last 5 minutes of the 60 min boil
- Wyeast 1056
- American Ale™
- White Labs WLP001
- California Ale Yeast™
- Fermentis Dry Active Yeast
- SO-5 US Ale
- Optional: 1 oz Cascade Dry Hop
- 1 tsp Brew Saltz
- 1 tsp Irish Moss
- If you chose liquid yeast, prepare the yeast according to the directions on the back of the package. If you chose a dry active yeast, you will need to to add it after the wort has cooled, refer to step 11.
- Put the grains into a grain bag or muslin bag. Heat 2 gallons of filtered water along with Brew Saltz to 162° F then turn off heat and add grain bag. DO NOT add grains to water above 165° F.
- Leave pot uncovered during this time, let temperature rest down to 155° F. Hold at 154º-165ºF 20 minutes. Stiring grain bag gently from time to time.
- Remove grain bag and let it drain into the brew pot. DO NOT squeeze grain bag.
- Rinse grains over brew pot by slowly pouring 1 cup of HOT tap water over the top of the grain bag. Discard grains.
- With the heat off, add 1/2 of the liquid malt extract only and stir. You will be adding the remaining half at the end of the boil. Turn on heat and while stirring bring to a boil. You will be doing a 60 minute boil.
- After your boil begins, add 1 oz of UK Phoenix Hops. Make sure your boil is a calm boil. Do not boil too hard, make sure it is a calm boil.
- After 30 mins of boil add another 1 oz of UK Phoenix hops. Continue to boil for an additional 25 minutes.
- After 55 mins of boil time, turn off heat. Add the remainder of the liquid malt extract. Stir. Add the Irish Moss, along with the last 1 oz of UK Phoenix Hops. Bring back to boil while stirring to make sure the malt extract has completely disolved. Boil 5 minutes, turn off heat.
- Cool the wort and add to fermenter on top of 2 gallons of very cold / ice water. HINT: 8 lbs of filtered ice = 1 gallon of water.
- Top off to 5 gallons. After the wort cools to 80° or below open the yeast package and pour the contents on top of the wort.
- Ferment for 7-10 days at 68°-72° F.
Optional: You can transfer from primary to secondary after 5 days and leave in secondary for 7 days.
- The final specific gravity should be 1.012-1.014. To bottle, rack into bottling bucket. Heat 12 oz of water and 3/4 cup dextrose in microwave for 2 minutes then add to bottling bucket. Stir together gently and thoroughly. Bottle and cap. Store at room temperature 7-10 days. Chill as needed and enjoy!
Rossco's Roasted Ale Recipe
Click here for a downlaodableble, printer friendly version of recipe.