WHISKEY BARREL STOUT
Click here for a downloadable, printer friendly version of recipe.
- 1/2 lb 6 Row Malted Barley
- 1/2 lb Belgian Biscuit Malt
- 1/2 lb Belgian Carapils Malt
- 1/2 lb Crystal Malt 90ºL
- 1/4 lb US Malted Red Wheat
- 1/4 lb UK Roasted Malted Barley
- 1/4 lb Black Patent Malt
- 1/4 lb UK Chocolate Malt
- 2 oz Smoked Malt
- 2 lbs Dark Liquid Malt Extract
- 4 lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
- 1 oz Amarillo Hops (60 min)60 minutes, full boil.
- 1 oz Cascade Hops (10 min)The last 10 minutes of the boil
- Wyeast 1318 LiquidLondon Ale III
- White Labs WLP023 LiquidLondon Ale
- Fermentis Dried Yeast Safale SO-4
- 1 tsp Brew Saltz
- 1 tsp Irish Moss
- 4 oz Dark Toasted Oak Chips
- 8 oz Bourbon (not included)
- Begin by soaking the oak chips in the Bourbon. Use an air tight container, you will be adding them prior to bottling.
- If you chose liquid yeast, prepare the yeast according to the directions on the back of the package. If you chose a dry yeast, you will need to to add it after the wort has cooled. See step 11.
- Put grains into a grain bag or muslin bag. Heat 2 gallons of filtered water along with Brew Saltz to 160° then turn off heat and add grain bag.
DO NOT add grains to water above 165° F.
- Let temperature rest down to 155° F and steep at 154º-156º for 20 minutes. Stir grain bag gently from time to time and leave pot uncovered.
- Remove grain bag and let it drain into the brew pot.
DO NOT squeeze grain bag.
- Rinse grains over brew pot by slowly pouring 2 cups of HOT tap water over the top of the grain bag. Discard grains.
- With the heat off, add the Liquid Malt Extract (LME) and stir. Turn on heat and while stirring bring to a boil.
- Make note of the time the boil starts and add the 1 oz of Amarillo hops. Continue to boil for 55 minutes.
Do not boil too hard, make sure it is a calm boil.
- After that 55 minutes of boil, add 1 oz Cascade hops along with the Irish Moss. Boil for the last 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Cool the wort and add to fermenter on top of 2 gallons of very cold / ice water. HINT: 8 lbs of filtered ice = 1 gallon of water.
- Top off to 5 gallons. After the wort cools to 80° or below, open the yeast package and pour the contents on top of the wort.
- Ferment for 7-10 days at 68°-72° F.
Optional: You can transfer from primary to secondary after 5 days and leave in secondary for 7 days. Add the soaked oak chips after the 5th day or when transfered to seconday.
- The final specific gravity should be 1.012-1.014. To bottle, rack into bottling bucket. Heat 12 oz of water and 3/4 cup dextrose in microwave for 2 minutes then add to bottling bucket. Stir together gently and thoroughly. Bottle and cap. Store at room temperature 7-10 days.
Chill as needed and enjoy!
Whiskey Barrel Stout Recipe
Click here for a downlable, printer friendly version of recipe.